What Is Hyperhidrosis?
- Normally, the body produces sweat to regulate temperature and cool it down. Many people suffer from excessive sweating caused by the nerves that control sweating becoming overactive. This common medical condition is known as “hyperhidrosis,” and can happen only in the underarms or in other parts of the body (including the face, back, palms, groin and soles of the feet). Hyperhidrosis can have a significant impact on self-confidence and can affect a person’s quality of life.
- There are many options available to treat excessive sweating and only a medical professional can diagnose severe hyperhidrosis that is not being effectively managed. If your condition is significantly interfering with your daily activities, book a consultation (link to contact us) to speak with one of our expert medical staff about treatment options that are available.
How Hyperhidrosis Treatment Works:
- In some cases, hyperhidrosis can be treated by the use of a commonly used neuromodulator (Botox®), which is a natural, purified protein that can be used to temporarily block communication between the nerves and sweat glands. By blocking, or interrupting, this chemical messenger, Botox® "turns off" sweating in the area where it has been injected. Botox® injections are very shallow, meaning that the medicine is injected just below the surface of the skin, where it remains.
- BOTOX® treatment is the only neuromodulator approved by Health Canada to treat the symptoms of severe hyperhidrosis when medicines used on the skin (topical) do not work well enough.
Areas That Can Be Treated:
- Pretty much any area of the body affected by hyperhidrosis can be treated with Botox®, including the underarms, palms of hands, soles of feet, scalp, forehead, and groin.
Goals of Treatment: Martin’s Philosophy:
- At Martin’s Rejuvenation Centre, our medical staff takes pride in our role as leading experts and educators in the field of Aesthetic Medicine. We recognize that the best injectors are not only detailed oriented professionals, but also a gifted artists. When you come to Martin’s, you can trust that you will be treated with both expertise and artistry by any of our amazing, compassionate and dedicated staff.
- Our Injectors feel strongly about focusing on the GOOD in everyone. Rather than focus on faults, we help identify our clients’ BEST features and discuss how to highlight them while minimizing visual distractions. As a result, our clients typically feel refreshed and positive about themselves. We recognize that each person’s unique goals are important to consider and always strive to achieve a balance between achieving these treatment goals while still preserving one’s natural beauty and personality.
Who Can Provide A Consultation and Treatment?
- Neuromodulators (i.e. Botox®) are classified as a medication which is only available by prescription from a qualified Canadian Physician or Nurse Practitioner who has had special training. As a result, all clients need to see the consultant prior to having any injections done. After the initial consultation, injections may be provided by Martin’s doctors, nurses or international medical physicians.
What Are Potential Side Effects Of Hyperhidrosis Treatment?
- Neuromodulators have been used safely and successfully for over 20 years. They are usually well tolerated & most patients do not experience any side effects at all. Side effects are rare. If they do occur, they are usually temporary and localized to the area of the injection. Side effects could include: bruising, localized tenderness, or general malaise (feeling unwell).
How Long Will Hyperhidrosis Treament Effects Last?
- There should be a decrease in sweating in approximately 48 hours, with maximum results achieved at 2 weeks. Treatments can reduce or eliminate sweating for 9-12 months in duration, with some patients noticing an increase in length before treatment, with regular treatment intervals.
What To Expect In The Consultation:
- Your consultation process is taken very seriously here at Martin’s. We want you to feel comfortable with our team and we also want to ensure your needs and concerns are being heard. You will be asked to complete a brief health history form which will be reviewed with one of our medical staff. It is important to tell us about any allergies, your past medical history, and current medications (including over the counter and natural remedies/supplements) you might be taking. Your appointment time is geared towards discussing possible treatment options, reviewing budget, understanding risks & benefits, and obtaining your consent to proceed. Depending on time booked, you may also proceed with treatment but a consent form must be signed with a physician or nurse practitioner before treatment can commence. We also encourage patients to stop using antiperspirants for at least 48 hours prior to consultation in order to properly diagnose hyperhidrosis in the underarms.
What To Expect During The Procedure:
- Anesthetic cream is applied to the area being treated and left on the skin for approximately 20-30 minutes. The anesthetic cream is then removed and the area is then cleansed with alcohol. Treatment of the hands and feet tend to be more sensitive and may require ice, oral sedation, or nerve blocks to make the treatment more comfortable. Through a tiny needle, a small amount of Botox® is injected under the skin's surface. Each injection is spaced about 1-2 cm apart and will cover the entire area affected by the excessive sweating. After injections you can continue your normal activities.
How To Prepare For Treatment:
- We encourage patients to stop using antiperspirants for at least 48 hours prior to consultation/treatment. Also, prior to any neuromodulator treatment we recommend patients avoid alcohol, advil, aspirin or any other blood thinning medications before treatment. If you are unsure about a specific medication or whether it is safe to stop taking, be sure to check with our team who can advise you on how to proceed.
What To Do After Hyperhidrosis Treatment:
- We advise our patients after treatment to keep the area clean and dry and avoid touching the area for the first 24 hours. To ensure best possible results, we also encourage patients to avoid any activities that will cause sweating for at least 48 hours after treatment.
Can I Be Treated If I Am Pregnant or Breastfeeding?
- No, we cannot perform treatment on pregnant or breastfeeding women.
I Have Further Questions. How Can I Reach You?
- We highly recommend that you schedule a free consultation (link) with our experienced staff. Please call the office at 705-735-0639 or 1-800-627-3309.
Why Choose Dr. Martin's?
See what makes our services renowned worldwide.
Named "Best of Barrie" by
Voted #1 for Cosmetic Clinic
& #1 for Laser Hair Removal
by Barrie Advance
1 on 1 Personalized
Professional and Friendly
Respected Training Centre
With Over 1,500 Physicians
Trained At Our Facility
New Patient Welcome Center
We sincerely hope that you enjoy your experience with us and fully benefit from the services that we have to offer.
College Regulations preclude inclusion of client testimonials or before and after photographs. Please visit the office for information.
Book a Consultation
Our professional and experienced medical staff are ready to help you make an informed decision about a wide variety of medical and cosmetic choices. Please fill out this form and we will contact you to schedule a consultation.