What Is PRP or Selphyl?
- Platelet rich plasma (also known as “PRP” or "Selphyl") is a specialized treatment that uses a portion of your own blood (plasma) in order to tighten and enrich skin tone and colour into a targetted area. Platelets found in plasma are rich in growth factors which have been shown to stimulate tissue repair, growth and collagen production.
Who Can Perform PRP or Selphyl Treatment?
- One of our expert medical aesthetic injectors.
What Areas Can Be Treated?
- PRP or Selphyl treatments can address any area of the skin that is thin, wrinkled or loose. This treatment allows natural tissue rejuvenation and improves skin texture, tightness and thickness. We most commonly treat: undereye area (including dark circles), crow’s feet, neck, decollote, and hands.
- Of note, in many cases PRP can be used as a "booster" to many of our other treatments. Be sure to ask one of our medical or laser staff for more information during consultation.
What To Expect During Treatment?
- Blood is drawn from the arm and spun in a centrifuge. The golden “platelet rich” section is delivered by a fine needle to the target areas (or is rubbed onto treatment areas as in the case with microneedling). This helps to increase collagen and elastin in the areas triggering skin repair and tightening.
- The entire procedure will take 40-50 minutes including topical anesthetic, the drawing of blood and the injections themselves. The number of treatments needed depends on the severity of the problem and the response to treatment.
What To Expect After Treatment?
- Most patients see an improvement in skin firmness within days after the treatment – as soon as the swelling subsides. Although downtime is minimal with the PRP or Selphyl treatments, we recommend that you plan your treatment when you can take some time off.
- There is an average of 3 to 7 days of redness, bruising and/or swelling after treatment. It is generally recommended that you plan for 2-3 sessions spaced from 4-6 weeks apart for the best results. Although the results are permenant, normal aging still progresses and maintenance is required. PRP provides a gradual improvement in skin volume, tone and wrinkles over time, with desired results lasting 18-24 months.
What Is The Difference Between Selphyl and Dermal Fillers?
- The tissue rejuvenation from PRP is a gradual enhancement of the skin itself. Fillers typically provide immediate volume enhancement for facial contouring. In many cases, PRP and dermal fillers are used in combination for best results. In order to determine your best option, book a consultation with one of our medical professionals to discuss how we can help you enhance your natural appearance.
- We cannot administer this treatment to people with infectious or inflamed skin, patients with history of keloid, anemia or auto-immune disorders, systemic disease or those on medications (ie. blood thinners).
Why Choose Dr. Martin's?
See what makes our services renowned worldwide.
Named "Best of Barrie" by
Voted #1 for Cosmetic Clinic
& #1 for Laser Hair Removal
by Barrie Advance
1 on 1 Personalized
Professional and Friendly
Respected Training Centre
With Over 1,500 Physicians
Trained At Our Facility
New Patient Welcome Center
We sincerely hope that you enjoy your experience with us and fully benefit from the services that we have to offer.
College Regulations preclude inclusion of client testimonials or before and after photographs. Please visit the office for information.
Book a Consultation
Our professional and experienced medical staff are ready to help you make an informed decision about a wide variety of medical and cosmetic choices. Please fill out this form and we will contact you to schedule a consultation.