What Is BBL?
- Broadband light treatment (BBL) is an innovative technology that sets new standards for the treatment of skin conditions associated with aging and sun damage. BBL energy allows us to treat fine lines, age & sun spots and several other skin blemishes. Your treatment will be tailored to match your skin’s condition and your desired results.
How Does BBL Work & Who Can Perform My Treatment?
- Although performed by our skilled laser technicians, BBL is not a laser treatment it is actually a light energy therapy. The light energy delivered by the BBL will gently heat up the upper layers of your skin. The heat absorbed by the targeted areas will stimulate your skin cells to generate new collagen. This will help restore your skin to its natural beauty, blending its natural colors and making it smoother, vibrant and younger looking. Another amazing quality of the BBL treatment comes from the photothermal energy which targets and eliminates many of the fine vessels that cause redness and the unwanted melanin responsible for pigmented lesions.
What Conditions Can Be Treated With BBL?
- BBL is an amazing option for all skin and the most common areas we treat are those most exposed to the damaging effects of sun light. Popular treatments include face, neck, back of hands, chest and shoulders. BBL treatment addresses issues including:
- brown sun spots
- general redness
- fine lines & skin tightening
How does BBL feel?
- There is a brief hot sensation with a flash of light. Any discomfort felt with each flash lasts for one second. No discomfort post treatment.
What results can I expect?
- Spots will often lighten dramatically, making them less noticeable and easier to cover with make-up. New sun damage spots sit on the surface and are easier to eliminate. Skin, however, has a memory - spots that just became visible have often been under the surface for a long time and are more difficult to treat.
- Studies at Stanford University show that regular BBL treatments, change gene expression to that seen in younger skin. With regular BBL treatments, the skin looks and feels younger - more even toned, brighter, and smooth.
How Long Do Effects of BBL Treatments Last?
- We initially recommend a series of 3-4 treatments to achieve best results. For maintenance we recommend 1-2 treatments every 6-12 months.
What Can I Expect After Treatment?
- This is a noninvasive and gentle procedure with virtually no down time. In most cases you will be able to return to work, apply makeup, and resume most of your activities right away. Brown spots will appear darker for 1-2 weeks post treatment and the affected skin may slough off. Avoid treatment around any upcoming special events. Depending on the depth of the damage, the spots will fade or completely slough off.
- It is important to follow the technician’s instructions after the procedure. We discourage exfoliation or rubbing the pigmented spots as it is best to let them slough off naturally after treatment (usually about 2 weeks). Also if having had redness or tiny veins around nose treated you must avoid anything that would make you flushed for 48 hours after treatment (including alcohol, exercise, hot or cold temperatures, or certain medications). After treatment you will be sensitive to ultra violet light and you must avoid direct sun exposure until fully healed. Fully cover your skin or use a good sun screen whenever you go outdoors. We recommend SkinMedica's Total Defense and Repair post treatment.
- We cannot treat women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. Because of the nature of the BBL technology, we also can't treat people with tanned skin (this is an excellent treatment to consider as the seasons change to address all of that sun damage that might have occurred over the summer).
- We also encourage patients to stop using antibiotics, light sensitive medication, RetinA or glycolic acids for 2 weeks prior to treatment to ensure maximal effects. It is also critical that patients stop using Accutane for at least 6 months prior to BBL treatment.
Why Choose Dr. Martin's?
See what makes our services renowned worldwide.
Named "Best of Barrie" by
Voted #1 for Cosmetic Clinic
& #1 for Laser Hair Removal
by Barrie Advance
1 on 1 Personalized
Professional and Friendly
Respected Training Centre
With Over 1,500 Physicians
Trained At Our Facility
New Patient Welcome Center
We sincerely hope that you enjoy your experience with us and fully benefit from the services that we have to offer.
College Regulations preclude inclusion of client testimonials or before and after photographs. Please visit the office for information.
Book a Consultation
Our professional and experienced medical staff are ready to help you make an informed decision about a wide variety of medical and cosmetic choices. Please fill out this form and we will contact you to schedule a consultation.